Watch for bee stings and allergic reactions
Anaphylaxis causes swelling, possibly death
LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) — Bees and wasps are out in full force at this time of the year.
For most people they are just a nuisance but for others’ they’re a major health concern.
A local Allergist says about eight-percent of people stung by a bee have a bad reaction, such as anaphylaxis.
Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that can lead to death. But in most cases people will just notice some swelling.
The allergist recommends if you are stung to quickly remove the stinger from your skin.
“Ice is the best thing, you can take an ibuprofen or anti-inflammatory and elevate it a little bit if you want to. Most don’t go on to have bad reactions, but some do,” said Gundersen Health System Allergist Doctor Todd Mahr.
If your child is stung by a bee it’s recommended to watch them for about 30 minutes to make sure they don’t have a bad reaction.