US reports few if any casualties in Iran strike
President Trump tweeted "All is well!"
TEHRAN, Iran- A U.S. official says there were very few, if any, casualties from Tuesday night’s Iranian missile attack on two Iraqi bases housing U.S. troops.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity in advance of a Pentagon briefing.
The official says 15 missiles were fired. Ten struck the Ain al-Asad air base in Iraq’s western Anbar province.
One struck a base in Irbil in Iraq’s semiautonomous Kurdish region. Four missiles failed to hit their targets.
The official says the bases are still being searched for casualties.
President Donald Trump says “All is well!” after the attack.
Trump tweets that casualty and damage assessments are ongoing but adds, “So far, so good!”
He says he will be making a statement on the strikes Wednesday morning.
Iranian state TV says the missile strikes were retaliation for the killing of Revolutionary Guard Gen. Qassem Soleimani, whose death last week in an American drone strike near Baghdad prompted angry calls to avenge his slaying.
Iran’s foreign minister is calling the attack a “proportionate measures in self-defense.”
Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also tweeted early Wednesday that Iran does not seek escalation or war, but will defend itself against any aggression.