US Defense Secretary Esper says no decision to leave Iraq
WASHINGTON (AP)- Defense Secretary Mark Esper says the United States has made “no decision” about withdrawing troops from Iraq amid heightened tensions with neighboring Iran.
Esper spoke to reporters Monday after a letter from a U.S. Army general circulated that seemed to suggest a withdrawal had been ordered in response to a vote by the Iraqi Parliament over the weekend.
Esper says, “There’s been no decision whatsover to leave Iraq.” He says the U.S. remains committed to the campaign to defeat the Islamic State group in Iraq and the region.
COPYRIGHT 2020 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.