St. Patrick’s Day Beef Recipes
Guinness Glazed Slow Cooker Corned Beef
Total recipe time: 8 hours 30 minutes
Makes 12 servings
1 Corned Beef Brisket with seasoning packet (around 4 pounds)
1 bottle/can (12 ounces) Guinness or other Irish stout beer
1 small onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons grainy mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Place the Corned Beef along with the pickling spices, onion and garlic in a slow cooker/crock-pot with the fat side up. Pour in the Guinness and cook on low until fork tender, about 8-10 hours.
2. Set the Corned Beef aside. Strain the solids from the Guinness and juices. Place the liquid into a large sauce pan; add the brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced by half; about 10 minutes.
3. Cut the fat layer off the Corned Beef; glaze with the Guinness glaze and bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven until the glaze starts to bubble; about 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition facts: 360 calories; 25 g fat (8 g saturated, 0 grams trans-saturated), 130 mg cholesterol, 1526 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrates, 24 grams protein.
Recipe found at www.closetcooking.com.
Total Recipe Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Makes 6 servings
1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
8 ounces deli Corned Beef, coarsly chopped
6 slices Swiss cheese
3 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 oz dill pickle burger chips (about 1/3 cup)
6 slices rye bread, toasted
1. Combine Ground Beef and Corned Beef, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into six 1/2-inch thick patties.
2. Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Evenly top with cheese during last minute of grilling. About 4 minutes before burgers are done, place bread on grid; grill until lightly toasted, turning once.
3. Spread mustard over each slice of rye bread and cut in half. Place burger on one side of bread; top with pickles. Close sandwiches.
Cook’s Tip: Reduced-fat Swiss cheese may be substituted in this recipe.Cook’s Tip: Russian dressing may be substituted for mustard.
Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 338 calories; 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 99 mg cholesterol; 795 mg sodium; 15 g carbohydrate; 1.8 g fiber; 34 g protein; 4.3 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 3.5 mg iron; 27.9 mcg selenium; 5.2 mg zinc; 58.0 mg choline.This recipe is an excellent source of protein, zinc, niacin, vitamin B12 and selenium, and a good source of iron and vitamin B6.
Total Recipe Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Makes 32 appetizers
12 ounces thinly sliced deli Corned Beef
1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing, divided
8 slices rye, swirl rye or pumpernickel bread
4 slices Swiss cheese (about 3/4 ounce each)
1 cup drained sauerkraut
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Spread 2 teaspoons dressing on each bread slice; cut slices into quarters. Place bread pieces in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted, rotating baking sheets half way through baking.
2. Meanwhile, cut cheese slices into quarters; cut each quarter diagonally in half to form 32 triangles. Top bread pieces evenly with Corned Beef, cheese slices and sauerkraut.
3. Heat appetizers in 425°F oven 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top evenly with remaining Thousand Island dressing.
Nutrition information per serving using reduced-fat Thousand Island dressing: 53 calories; 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 0 g monounsaturated fat); 9 mg cholesterol; 236 mg sodium; 5 g carbohydrate; 0.6 g fiber; 4 g protein; 0.4 mg niacin; 0 mg vitamin B6; 0 mcg vitamin B12; 0.5 mg iron; 2.2 mcg selenium; 0.1 mg zinc; 1.6 mg choline.
Nutrition information per serving using regular Thousand Island dressing: 60 calories; 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 0 g monounsaturated fat); 10 mg cholesterol; 234 mg sodium; 5 g carbohydrate; 0.6 g fiber; 4 g protein; 0.4 mg niacin; 0 mg vitamin B6; 0 mcg vitamin B12; 0.5 mg iron; 2.3 mcg selenium; 0.1 mg zinc; 1.7 mg choline.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY NEWS 8000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.