Wisconsin football began practice Thursday morning ranked 17th in USA Today's NCAA preseason coaches poll.
The biggest question mark for the offense is who lines up under center. Junior Jack Coan brings the most experience, but head coach Paul Chryst has historically been patient when it comes to naming a starter. He's praised all his QB candidates so far, and the guys themselves know it's an open battle over the next few weeks.
"I think for us to be the best team we can be, we need more improved and consistent play at the quarterback spot," Chryst said.
"With the quarterback position, that's how it's always going to be, and with every position, too. You're always fighting for a job and be the best version of yourself," Coan said.
"For me it's just growing even more," freshman Graham Mertz said. "Spring ball was a great stepping stone for that, and for me it's just putting it all together."
UW opens the season at South Florida Aug. 30.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Winona Winhawks senior class hopes to make football program history
- Spring Grove football eyes three-peat, look to Bergrud to replace dual-threat QB Alex Folz
- Prairie du Chien football hoping to exceed expectations after early exit from 2018 playoffs
- Wisconsin WR Quintez Cephus returns to practice
- Fowler drives in 4 runs in Cardinals 9-2 win over Brewers