Reminder: Check carbon monoxide detectors
Typical life span of a carbon monoxide detector is 8-10 years
LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) — Along with making sure you have enough room for your holiday guests this time of year, it’s also a good idea to check your carbon monoxide detectors.
With more people in your house, you may be turning up your furnace or plugging in fuel-burning space heaters to keep everyone warm.
But before you put them into high gear, make sure they are safe.
Carbon Monoxide is odorless, colorless and tasteless so it’s extremely difficult to know if you have a CO leak in your house without a monitoring device.
The La Crosse Fire Departments said you should have one on every level of your home and you should know how long they last.
“A myth that people think is that once they have a CO detector it’s good for life. It only averages about eight to ten years but check the manufacturer to see how long they last,” said Capt. David Snow with the La Crosse Fire Department.
Here is a list of symptoms that you can experience from carbon monoxide poisoning: dull headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision and loss of consciousness.
If you believe you are having a CO leak in your house, get everyone out into fresh air and call 911 immediately.