Onalaska’s Baymont Inn evacuated due to fire

Cause of fire under investigation

The Onalaska Fire Department is investigating the cause of a fire in the laundry room at the Baymont Inn at 3300 Kinney Coulee Road North.

Onalaska Assistant Fire Chief Troy Gudie said when crews arrived on February 15 at 8 a.m., the building was being evacuated and heavy smoke was reported on the first floor.

Firefighters extinguished a smoldering fire in one of the dryers and ventilated the area to remove the smoke from the first and second floor. Gudie said they were able to contain the fire to the area it started. There was moderate smoke damage to the laundry room and first floor hallway.

Tri-State Ambulance transported one employee to a local hospital for smoke inhalation.

An MTU bus was on scene to provide a warm shelter for guests and employees. Xcel Energy and the La Crosse County Health Department were also on scene.

Comments

comments