LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - With more snow in the forecast, many of us will probably be turning up the heat in our homes.
State law says utilities can't shut off a customer's electricity or natural gas if they're behind on their payments during the winter months.
But that period ends after April 15th.
Xcel Energy says about 12% of their customers or 28,000 people in the region, are behind on their payments and at risk of getting their heat shut off next week.
Even with the moratorium ending, Xcel says there are options if you're having trouble paying your bills.
"We will work with you to go on a budget payment plan or something, and then in addition, there are plans and programs available by other agencies out there for those that qualify," said Mike Herro of Xcel Energy.
If you're behind on your payments and need to talk to Xcel about one of those payment plans, you can call them at 1-800-895-4999.
- La Crosse city planning department nears contract agreement with Riverside North Project developer
- UW-La Crosse students give up their hair to raise funds to research childhood cancer
- Program filling the need for doctors in rural Wisconsin
- La Crosse man sentenced to 71 months on Methamphetamine charge
- Alicia Leinberger announces she is running for 96th district assembly
- Milwaukee health officials issue synthetic marijuana alert
- Child abuse prevention month walk brings together family for final event
- Home owners take possession of home thanks to La Crosse program
- Habitat for Humanity La Crosse Area reaches building milestone
- Is coffee causing you to be dehydrated? Study says no