LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - If La Crosse leaders decide to repair La Crosse Street the Wisconsin Department of Transportation says it will not reimburse the costs.
DOT leaders cited Wisconsin State Statutes as the reason, which say local roads that carry state highway traffic through cities can receive state aid when the road reaches the end of its life, but there is no statute letting municipalities bill the DOT for repairs made before that time.
Last week, La Crosse Mayor Tim Kabat said the city could not wait for the state to repair La Crosse Street and planned on sending the DOT a bill for the costs.
- Mug Shot of the Day - Jan from Sparta
- Onalaska Police and Fire Commission against idea of unified Safety Director
- La Crosse student actors bring reality of homelessness to stage
- Live Coverage: Sarah Thamer talks to student actors telling stories of homelessness
- Drug dealer sentenced in overdose death
- Wisconsin officials impose statewide ash borer quarantine
- Wisconsin matches owners with $8.9 million in unclaimed property
- Senate adjourns without taking up frac sand exemptions
- Chili sauce recall in 13 states, including Wis.
- La Crosse Fire Department responds to morning house fire
- La Crosse college receives 2017 Tree Campus USA recognition
- Local high school robotics team battles to World Championship
- Teens charged in Wis. gun shop burglary
- Complaint: Officers 'spooked' before shooting woman
- Wis. officers cleared in fatal shooting