WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - People in Winona looking for a warm place to stay overnight will soon have someplace to go.
Catholic Charities of Winona is opening a brand new warming center Saturday night.
The new facility will be able to house ten people at a time and was made a possibility after a group of concerned citizens started having meetings about the idea last fall.
It's also believed to be the first warming center of its kind in Winona.
"People are maybe not aware of how many homeless people are in our area. I know that I visited La Crosse's warming center and there were two or three people from Winona that were there because there was nothing here," said warming center director Tom Parlin.
Once it opens, the Winona warming center will be open between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. every day.
- Onalaska Police Chief submits resignation
- Veterans bring first-hand experience to Kenosha students
- Husband faces drug charges after wife's death
- Gun expert explains uses, misconceptions about AR-15s
- Child credit, sales tax holiday OK'd by Wisconsin Assembly
- Wisconsin dairy says owner among Indiana plane crash victims
- Walker tax cut, Lincoln Hills closure plan in jeopardy
- Some Wisconsin residents still stranded by high waters
- Wisconsin Assembly passes bill that could revoke licenses of repeat drunk drivers
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 24, 2018