WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - Winona State has some big ideas for its future and it's asking the surrounding community to get involved in those plans.
The university is in the very early stages of planning upgrades for its athletic facilities and event center.
They're hoping to enhance and increase seating at the outdoor stadium while developing a large events center that could also be used for non-university functions. That's why they're hoping to work with the City and County of Winona to get their input on what they'd like to see with the potential project.
"To have a facility, not only that benefits the university but benefits the region, to bring in opportunities that right now can only go to Rochester or La Crosse, I think is going to be a great opportunity," said WSU's Vice President of University Advancement Ron Dempsey.
The proposed multi-step project is still several years from becoming a reality.
Right now, the university is raising money for the stadium renovations.
- Genzie's Gameday Pub hosts 2nd annual soup cook-off for the troops
- Fire at a Winona apartment displaces 5 residents
- Robotics teams from all over the region meet for a preseason scrimmage
- Doctors emphasize the benefits of exercising at target heart rate
- Fire fully engulfs barn with cattle inside
- La Crosse-area community members share stories of climate change
- Local Lupus Alliance to host 'Murder at the Disco' in March
- Centerville Curling Club teaches the public about the sport of curling
- Viterbo hosts Engineering Exploration Day to showcase new engineering program
- Project Linus makes blankets for kids in need