WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - The Winona County Sheriff's Office said it has investigated a number of tips about a dog being dragged by a truck. However, it believes the incident was an unfortunate accident.
According to a news article clipping that was shared on social media, on Oct. 17, the department received a report of a Chevy pickup dragging a dog behind it on Highway 74. Responding deputies reportedly found a blood trail and parts of the dog's remains.
The department said in a post on Facebook that it was able to get in touch with the dog's owner because of the social media shares and tips it received.
Authorities said this was an unfortunate accident and in no way a malicious act meant to torture, injure or kill the dog.
The department thanks everyone for sharing the information and sending in tips.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Reward offered for information about missing veteran last seen in Wisconsin
- La Crosse man in jail after threatening to blow up police, building
- AG announces $1.5m to expand drug and diversion courts
- Armed robbery in Onalaska under investigation
- Wisconsin girl with inspirational love of dogs dies at age 8
- Galesville man arrested for OWI, threatens La Crosse Deputy's family
- Revenue secretary apologizes for Walker death slide
- Onalaska man accused of suffocating pregnant woman stands mute in court
- Jury awards $1.4M to man who got vasectomy, not circumcision
- Walz calls for public hearings to break insulin impasse