LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Two La Crosse County jailers were injured Thursday morning during an attack by an inmate.
Sheriff Steve Helgeson says the jailers were doing a routine inspection of the inmates cell for contraband.
Helgeson says the inmate, identified as 25-year-old Audie C. Benford Murphy, suddenly attacked the jailers.
Both jailers were injured and taken to Mayo Clinic Health System for treatment. They were later released.
Murphy was also injured and taken to the hospital. He has since been released.
Murphy has been in the La Crosse County jail since May of this year.
He's facing two felony counts of battery by inmate.
- Flood victims need help before winter
- Police find 2 dead adults, look for missing 13-year-old
- 2 killed in car that collided with Bethel team bus
- Minnesota man charged with rape of 12-year-old girl
- Security breach at Wisconsin National Guard unit; 3 arrested
- Body of missing toddler found in Waupaca County river
- Pet adoption event takes place at Petco
- Area girls scouts will see new STEM programs
- Tour of Upper Living showcases downtown La Crosse
- WAFER hosts open house to thank donors