WHITEHALL, Wis. (WKBT) - After 42 years in law enforcement, 38 in Trempealeau County, Sheriff Richard Anderson has decided not to seek re-election this fall.
"It has not only been an absolute privilege to be your Sheriff, but an outstanding honor to have served you all", Sheriff Anderson said in a press release.
Sheriff Anderson listed the many accomplishments of the Sheriff's Office during his three terms including equipment updates to enhance safety for both officers and citizens, specialized training for deputies and detectives, updating and implementation of policies and procedures, as well as Field Training for deputies, jailers, and dispatchers.
A crucial concern during all three of Sheriff Anderson's terms has been the drug problem in Trempealeau County. According to the release, the Sheriff's Office supported the D.A.R.E. program, providing community and school education on drugs, implemented the county's first K-9 Unit, created a Drug Investigator position and worked to enhance the Recovery Court program.
"My years in law enforcement have allowed me opportunities to work with some amazing, inspiring, and dedicated individuals", Sheriff Anderson said. "These people include those that have worked alongside me (past and present), and citizens of our wonderful county."Sheriff Anderson added, "I cannot speak highly enough of my wife, Marie, and her support over the years. She has sacrificed our time together as a family, personal life functions, activities, and my assistance at home so that I could serve the community when called upon."
- Screnock, Dallet advance in Wisconsin Supreme Court primary
- State Assembly overwhelmingly passes Gov. Walker's Health Care Stability Plan
- Voters in West Salem approve school referendum
- Two advance in Tomah mayoral race
- Assignment: Education - School staff shortage
- Voters in Viroqua choose two to move on in mayor's race
- La Crosse residents brave icy conditions following freezing rain
- Wisconsin Assembly passes school guard grant bill
- Supreme Court asked to review 'Making a Murderer' confession
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 20, 2018