LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - For the last 12 years, the staff at an area Mexican restaurant has spent Christmas day giving back to the community.
On Sunday afternoon, workers at Fiesta Mexicana dished out tacos, burritos and enchiladas to people for free.
The event has become a staple in the community on Christmas Day with many people coming back year after year.
To make sure everyone goes home with enough to eat Perkins restaurant also donated pies and other desserts.
Organizers say the event is their own special way of sharing the Christmas spirit.
"I just love to do something for our community. I love to thank our community and I just love to have them on Christmas Day for a free meal," said Enrique Valera, owner of Fiesta Mexicana.
Those who took part in the meal say the event is the epitome of what the Christmas spirit is all about.
"They're a big welcoming family and they do it because they love other people. They don't have to do it. This is what America is about and it doesn't get any more Christmas than that," said Mike Knoll, who has been going to the meal for several years.
The restaurant was open until 2 p.m. Sunday.
- Veterans bring first-hand experience to Kenosha students
- Husband faces drug charges after wife's death
- Gun expert explains uses, misconceptions about AR-15s
- Child credit, sales tax holiday OK'd by Wisconsin Assembly
- Wisconsin dairy says owner among Indiana plane crash victims
- Walker tax cut, Lincoln Hills closure plan in jeopardy
- Some Wisconsin residents still stranded by high waters
- Wisconsin Assembly passes bill that could revoke licenses of repeat drunk drivers
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 24, 2018
- Wisconsin sees increase in respiratory illnesses