LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The Belle Square development in downtown La Crosse is nearing completion.
While construction is ongoing at the project, residents have been living in the space since last fall.
This summer, several more businesses will be moving in.
When completed, managers say the project will be the centerpiece of downtown La Crosse.
George Metropulos is a part Cowgill Dental's new office in Belle Square, open since February.
"People work until 4-5 o'clock, and they don't want to take off time during work, so I think this is a niche for that type of individual,” Metropulos said.
With construction on portions of the building ongoing, Metropulos said most customers didn't know they were open.
"Slowly but surely, but it's getting more steady,” Metropulos said.
Property manager Mark Von Ruden said the resident side of the building opened last October.
"Currently we are about 65 percent occupied on the residential side, and we're doing about two to three leases a week,” Von Ruden said.
The entire commercial side is leased out, with plans for a fitness center, Mayo Clinic, a deli, as well as offices for LHI and Gundersen Health System.
"Everything is in one place,” Von Ruden said. “You can live down here, you can work down here, you can walk across the rooftop terrace and come into work. You don't even need to drive anywhere."
Across the street, construction on a parking garage continues. It will be managed by the city once completed.
"A number of commercial tenants have inquired getting parking there in the ramp for the employees that work in this complex, so I think it's going to be a good working relationship between the two,” Von Ruden said.
Metropulos expects business to pick up this summer, and he thinks Cowgill Dental is a perfect fit for the building.
"Whether you're looking down here or just find a place that's close to work to grab a coffee or come get your teeth cleaned. I think it's going to be a good thing,” Metropulos said.
According to Von Ruden, work on the outside of the entire Belle Square complex is complete.
Interior work is expected to continue through this winter.
There are a still a few lease agreements that haven't been released to the public.
As for organizations that are known, Mayo Clinic is expected to open in June, and the new fitness center will open in August.
- Carfentanyl makes its way to La Crosse, leading to more doses of Narcan
- Heart attack survivor praises exercise as life-changing
- La Crosse man charged with assault, woman hid in gas station
- Car goes through ice on Lake Onalaska, owner rescued
- Federal tuition tax deduction back on the books
- First public meeting held on Trane All-Abilities Park funding campaign
- Gander Outdoors opens in Onalaska
- Students learn robotics, design during first-hand lesson on engineering at Trane
- Public meeting held on Hwy. 35 reconstruction plan
- Local students hold candlelight vigil for Florida school shooting victims