LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The La Crosse Neighborhood Associations held the ‘Family Social – Fall in Love with Your Neighborhood’ event Saturday afternoon at the Copeland Park Oktoberfest Shelter.
The free event helps get people in touch with their neighborhood associations while celebrating the work that those groups have done to improve their neighborhoods.
There were carnival games, snacks and raffle prizes at the event, which organizers hope will help neighborhoods by bringing neighbors together.
"What we have found is that there's a lot of people who live in the city who don't know they have neighborhood associations or how they work. So we had an event [that] would bring them here to meet us, so they could maybe come out to our meetings and start talking about what's good in the neighborhood," said Daniel Manke, the vice president of La Crosse Neighborhoods Incorporated.
The La Crosse Promise organization and Powell-Poage-Hamilton Neighborhood Association chair Angela Manke were given awards for their community service during a presentation at the event. La Crosse Promise received the 2018 Jerilyn Dinsmoor Award. Manke received the 2018 Sara Sullivan Award.
- Flood victims need help before winter
- Police find 2 dead adults, look for missing 13-year-old
- 2 killed in car that collided with Bethel team bus
- Minnesota man charged with rape of 12-year-old girl
- Security breach at Wisconsin National Guard unit; 3 arrested
- Body of missing toddler found in Waupaca County river
- Pet adoption event takes place at Petco
- Area girls scouts will see new STEM programs
- Tour of Upper Living showcases downtown La Crosse
- WAFER hosts open house to thank donors