LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A new proposal create reorganize some of La Crosse's city departments.
The proposal from La Crosse Mayor Tim Kabat would have the city contract from outside for assessment services, while human resources would merge with the Legal Department. The mayor says the changes make sense now since the City Assessor and Human Resources Director could soon be retiring.
With those department leadership positions potentially being vacated, Kabat says now is the time to consider these changes to address budget concerns.
"The reality of the matter is we have to look at these types of savings because otherwise either our budget's not going to balance or we'll be looking at a significant tax increase,” said Mayor Kabat.
Kabat also says new technologies could also provide additional cost savings in some departments.
- Schools & Weather related cancellations for Tuesday, Feb. 20
- Wis. Supreme Court primary today
- Spring primary ballot will include school referendum in West Salem
- Wisconsin tweaks dairy insurance program
- Walker pushes health care plan ahead of state Senate vote
- Volunteers aim to keep seniors sharp with virtual reality
- La Crosse residents brave icy conditions following freezing rain
- Project to bring apartments, preschool, commercial space to downtown Winona
- Wisconsin attorney general open to allowing guns in schools
- Results of sexual assault kit leads to arrest in 2008 assault