ASHWAUBENON, Wis. (AP) - Wisconsin retailer Shopko is closing 39 stores in 19 states.
Shopko spokeswoman Michelle Hansen says each store employs 10 to 25 employees, putting the scope of job cuts at about 400 to nearly 1,000 positions. Liquidation sales begin Friday with the stores closing by the end of February.
The Green Bay area department store chain operates about 360 stores in 24 states. Just one store in Shopko's home state will close. That store is in Mauston.
Hansen says the closures were dictated by the long-term outlook on profitability, sales trends, and growth potential.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- UPDATE: Police investigating two deaths at Monroe Co. home
- The Latest: Evers renews veto call to Walker
- CDC finds more overdoses involve fentanyl, mirroring local epidemic numbers
- Gathering offers hope for teen missing since parents' deaths
- New Buffalo County K9 helps with two drug arrests
- Local Rep. Ron Kind votes no on 2018 Farm Bill after congress passes legislation
- Video game addiction a growing concern
- More than a quarter million pounds of food collected as part of '10 Days of Giving'
- Walker calls for lame-duck bills, starting clock on signing
- Tomah school district awarded Teacher Training, Development grant