LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - La Crosse Water Utility officials received reports of imposters posing as water utility employees to attempt to gain access to homes.
Officials are encouraging residents to protect themselves by taking the following precautions.
• Never allow someone in your home that you don’t recognize. In emergency situations, La Crosse Utility staff may knock on doors to provide notification of work being done in the area. However, most La Crosse Water Utility appointments are made after the customer receives written correspondence by mail from the La Crosse Utilities Office or La Crosse Water Utility.
• If you are unsure whether to let someone in your home, call the La Crosse Utilities Office at (608) 789-7536 to verify the employees’ names and the work being done.
• Always ask to see a photo identification badge. All La Crosse Water Utility employees are required to carry an official photo ID.
• La Crosse Water Utility employees will arrive in a La Crosse Water Utility marked vehicle – blue vehicle with water drop logo.
• There are a few situations that may cause La Crosse Utilities Office staff to call customers to schedule appointments with or without prior written correspondence. If you want to be sure the request is legitimate, tell the caller you will hang up and call the La Crosse Utilities Office directly at (608) 789-7536 to schedule the appointment.
• Utility staff will never ask for or offer money.
• Call the police if you think the person is an imposter, or if they attempt to gain entry without your permission.
- Man arrested after firing gun outside French Island apartment building
- National opioid crisis continues but local numbers show progress
- Temporary teaching permit aims to fill need for substitute teachers
- Fire out at site of oil refinery explosion in Superior
- La Crosse police search for two men in antique jewelry theft
- ‘Parents Who Host Lose the Most' campaign kicks-off in La Crosse
- Square foot gardening kits sold in La Crosse
- Middle school students in La Crosse learn about technical careers
- News 8 Sports Round Up - April 26, 2018
- Hike through La Crosse marsh trails with your four-legged friends at ‘Tails for Trails'