LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - UPDATED:
An officer involved shooting in La Crosse left one person dead.
At about five p.m. La Crosse police responded to the area of Houska Park for reports of a car jacking.
According to police, a mother and two children were at their vehicle when a male approached them and displayed a weapon, then demanded to take their car.
The mother was able to get out of the car with one of the children, however a one-year-child was still in the back seat and the mother was unable to get the child out before the suspect took the car.
La Crosse police located the vehicle and the suspect shortly after and a short pursuit ensued, which resulted in a crash in the area of 8th and Johnson Streets.
"As La Crosse police approached the vehicle, several officers looked in and saw the individual with the weapon and two officers discharged their weapon, shooting and ultimately resulting in the individual being dead," said Captain Jason Melby with the La Crosse Police Department.
The Division of Criminal Investigation will be investigating for the La Crosse Police Department.
There were no other injuries involved and no one is in custody at this time
Emergency crews are on scene at 8th and Jackson Streets for a report of shots fired.
We have a crew on scene and will have updates as they become available.
- Fire at a Winona apartment displaces 5 residents
- Fire fully engulfs barn with cattle inside
- La Crosse-area community members share stories of climate change
- Local Lupus Alliance to host 'Murder at the Disco' in March
- Centerville Curling Club teaches the public about the sport of curling
- Viterbo hosts Engineering Exploration Day to showcase new engineering program
- Project Linus makes blankets for kids in need
- Committee vote canceled on 'alcohol czar' bill
- Wisconsin Assembly passes Walker's welfare overhaul bills
- Wisconsin Assembly OKs wetland permit exemptions bill