WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - Officials in Winona County are voting to ban the mining, processing, and transporting of frac sand.
The Winona County Board of Commissioners voted 3-to-2 in favor of the ban at a meeting Tuesday night.
The county-wide ban had been discussed for about a year and was recently supported by nearly four dozen Winona-area businesses and other groups.
Those in favor of a ban have said they were concerned with possible health effects and potential damage to the agriculture industry.
- Committee vote canceled on 'alcohol czar' bill
- Wisconsin Assembly passes Walker's welfare overhaul bills
- Wisconsin Assembly OKs wetland permit exemptions bill
- Prairie du Chien's Matt Antoine comes up short in pursuit of Olympic medal
- Local school districts discuss security measures following Florida mass shooting
- Backpacks donated to local police departments in memory of young murder victim
- Health experts point to lack of residential treatment access for drug addicts
- Community efforts continue to restore Myrick duck house
- ‘Alcohol czar' bill vote canceled
- 911 system celebrates 50 years of service