BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - A public memorial service is being planned in Alabama for former NFL quarterbacking great Bart Starr.
A statement from the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame says an event celebrating Starr's legacy will be held Sunday afternoon at Samford University in suburban Birmingham.
The family also is planning a private funeral.
Starr was an Alabama native who lived in metro Birmingham at the time of his death.
The Green Bay Packers selected Starr out of the University of Alabama with the 200th pick in the 1956 draft. He led Green Bay to six division titles, five NFL championships and wins in the first two Super Bowls.
Starr died Sunday at age 85. He had been in failing health since suffering two strokes and a heart attack in 2014.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- La Crosse Parks and Rec finalizing $3.5 million tennis facility plan
- Rail supporters propose more Amtrak stops in La Crosse
- La Crosse Tribune eliminating 20 positions
- Evers: Barnes should pay any delinquent taxes
- Downtown Sound concerts underway in Onalaska
- Evers signals opposition to car registration fee increase
- Blue Stars concert supports Hunger Task Force
- American Academy of Pediatrics recommends vaccinations for children going to summer camp
- Golfing fundraiser benefits CouleeCap housing program
- Tomah's Humbird Cheese celebrates 50 years in business