LA CRESCENT, Minn. (WKBT) - Preparations are underway for a local festival celebrating a popular fruit.
Applefest returns this weekend to La Crescent, also known as the Apple Capital of Minnesota.
The festivities will feature locally grown apples, including a new variety called 'First Kiss.' Fest leaders say this year they are bringing in additional apple varieties from farms outside of the area.
"If you anticipate your favorite variety at a certain time, come on in because if it's not quite ready there's probably another one here that's going to be really close and satisfy your taste buds,” said Bruce Bauer of Bauer’s Market and Garden Center.
The 67th Applefest begins Thursday with a carnival. One of the most popular events of the fest, the King Apple Parade, will begin this Sunday at one in the afternoon.
You can find a list and schedule of events at the La Crescent Applefest website.
- Registered Sex Offender wanted by police
- Walker unveils $20M technology job training initiative
- Bethany Lutheran Homes continues partnership with Inclusa
- Dog survives 5 nights in bitter cold huddled in window well
- New study finds millennials likely to pursue nursing
- $1 million bond set for Monroe Co. man accused in fatal shooting
- Wisconsin education plan wins approval over objections
- MNsure boasts 116K signups in record year
- Embrace the Bold North in Minneapolis for Super Bowl
- Wasting disease discovered in Milwaukee County