MADISON, Wis. (AP) - The Latest on Gov. Scott Walker's school safety legislation.
The state Assembly's top Republican says the chamber will reconvene next week to take up Gov. Scott Walker's new school safety legislation.
Walker introduced the bills Thursday morning and called a special legislative session to address them. Assembly Speaker Robin Vos issues a news release minutes later saying the chamber will take up the bills next week in a one-day special session. He didn't say what day.
The Assembly finished its regular two-year session last month but Vos said in the release he was pleased walker called a special session because nothing is more important than student safety.
The state Senate's last floor period of its regular two-year session is Tuesday. A spokesman for Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald didn't immediately reply to an email inquiring about whether the chamber will take up the school bills that day.
Republican Gov. Scott Walker is introducing a package of legislation designed to enhance school safety.
Walker unveiled the proposals Thursday morning. They include establishing an Office of School Safety within the state Justice Department, creating a $100 million school safety grant program and requiring mandatory child abuse reporters to report threats of school violence as well.
Other bills in the package would require the Office of School Safety to use trauma-informed care principals in any training it offers, require schools to bolster safety plans and allow schools to share live video streams with police without violating student privacy laws.
The package does not include any gun control provisions or plans to arm teachers.
Walker called a special legislative session Thursday to address the proposals.
- La Crosse city planning department nears contract agreement with Riverside North Project developer
- Program filling the need for doctors in rural Wisconsin
- La Crosse man sentenced to 71 months on Methamphetamine charge
- Habitat for Humanity La Crosse Area reaches building milestone
- Home owners take possession of home thanks to La Crosse program
- BRF hoops star picks UW-La Crosse
- News 8 Sports Round Up - April 20, 2018
- Harter's Quick Cleanup hosting shred event for La Crosse area residents, businesses
- 'Sparks!' program helps young children prepare for school
- Apothik's return helps usher in food truck season in downtown La Crosse