LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Representatives from an area college spent Wednesday in the nation's capital, learning more about a plan to make higher education more affordable.
Wisconsin Representative Ron Kind's Higher Education Action Plan would work to make more internships and apprenticeships available for high school students, make sure higher education is affordable for everyone, and work with technical colleges to make sure they match student skills with jobs that are available.
Kind says technical colleges can play a big role in growing the economy and have the opportunity to turn peoples' lives around.
"We just have to keep thinking creatively to make sure our students are developing the skills and receiving the education they need to be full participants of the global economy," said Rep. Kind.
The congressman says he will work to implement many of the points of his plan into the Higher Education Act, which Congress is expected to re-authorize later this year.
- Veterans bring first-hand experience to Kenosha students
- Husband faces drug charges after wife's death
- Gun expert explains uses, misconceptions about AR-15s
- Child credit, sales tax holiday OK'd by Wisconsin Assembly
- Wisconsin dairy says owner among Indiana plane crash victims
- Walker tax cut, Lincoln Hills closure plan in jeopardy
- Some Wisconsin residents still stranded by high waters
- Wisconsin Assembly passes bill that could revoke licenses of repeat drunk drivers
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 24, 2018
- Wisconsin sees increase in respiratory illnesses