DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - The Iowa Senate has declined to confirm a doctor to the Iowa Board of Medicine because of an online comment she made about the LGBT community.
The Des Moines Register reports that Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds' appointment of Katherine Asjes failed Wednesday. All 18 votes against the appointment were cast by Democrats.
Democratic Sen. Tony Bisignano says Asjes' supportive comment on an online article in the Catholic World Report that criticized the LGBT community is concerning.
Senate Minority Leader Janet Petersen says the comment raises concerns about whether Asjes would protect the health of all Iowa residents.
Asjes says that while she expressed agreement with the author, her comment was made seeking additional information.
The state Board of Medicine regulates physicians and surgeons, osteopathic physicians and licensed acupuncturists.
Information from: The Des Moines Register, http://www.desmoinesregister.com
- La Crosse city planning department nears contract agreement with Riverside North Project developer
- Program filling the need for doctors in rural Wisconsin
- La Crosse man sentenced to 71 months on Methamphetamine charge
- Habitat for Humanity La Crosse Area reaches building milestone
- Home owners take possession of home thanks to La Crosse program
- BRF hoops star picks UW-La Crosse
- News 8 Sports Round Up - April 20, 2018
- Harter's Quick Cleanup hosting shred event for La Crosse area residents, businesses
- 'Sparks!' program helps young children prepare for school
- Apothik's return helps usher in food truck season in downtown La Crosse