AMES, Iowa (WKBT) - A 20-year-old Iowa State University student has become the youngest woman elected to office in Iowa history by winning election to the Ames City Council.
The Des Moines Register reports Rachel Junck defeated incumbent businessman Chris Nelson in Tuesday's runoff election. Junck has said it is an honor to make Iowa history and represent a younger generation on the council.
Junck is the daughter of two Ames school teachers, and she grew up in the city that is home to Iowa State.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- UW regents approve 2% pay raises for chancellors
- Jackson County authorities looking for suspect in connection with armed robberies
- UPDATE: 3 dead after Black Hawk helicopter crashes after takeoff in Minnesota
- Iowa worker who took bathroom photos may have many victims
- Being a bully in this Rock County school District could now earn you a citation of up to $500
- Prairie du Sac man given months to live asking for as many Christmas cards as possible
- Sheriff urges media to keep school stabber's name secret
- WATCH LIVE: Joe Biden in Iowa
- Love Lights help community members honor loved ones in La Crosse
- Donations out pace previous year for Winona's '10 Days of Giving'