LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A Viroqua man was awarded $50,000 in the Kwik Trip Kwik Return Contest as a result of the blocked punt and recovery in the end zone for a touchdown during Sunday's Packers-Vikings game.
Kent Bjornstad qualified for the contest during a recent trip to a Kwik Trip store when he swiped his Kwik Rewards card.
The Kwik Return Contest selects one Kwik Rewards member to be eligible for the contest each game, and the chosen fan receives tickets to the game and on-field access prior to kickoff. The contest rules say that if the Packers return the first punt of the game for the touchdown, the selected member at the game wins $50,000.
When the first punt of the game, off the foot of Minnesota punter Matt Wile, was blocked by Geronimo Allison and recovered in the end zone by Josh Jackson, Kent wasn’t quite sure what to think.
“My wife and I were watching the punt… but then… it was blocked and caught in the end zone for a touchdown? We just weren’t sure it qualified for the prize as the punt was never returned. But, unexpectedly, Kwik Trip called on Monday morning and informed me they planned to issue a check for $50,000 regardless! We’re still speechless! What an experience!”
“We couldn’t be more excited that a sensational play by our special teams unit in the first quarter on Sunday helped one of our longtime fans take home a $50,000 prize,” commented, Chad Watson, Director of Business Development for the Packers.
- Wisconsin will not join tentative settlement agreement with Purdue Pharma
- Presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders to stop in Decorah
- Set up details for La Crosse Oktoberfest parades
- Oktoberfest USA Medallion has been found
- Hmong New Year Festival helps bond community members
- Concordia Ballroom gets dancers up to speed with free polka lessons
- Former Miss Wisconsin Outstanding Teen claims Miss La Crosse Oktoberfest crown
- King Apple Parade marches through La Crescent
- Retired Air Force major general introduces new book to area veterans
- UW-La Crosse soccer loses thriller in double overtime against Coe College