ONALASKA, Wis. (WKBT) - One person is dead following a crash on Highway 16 during the Monday evening commute.
According to the Onalaska Police Department, the crash happened at the intersection of Highway 16 and County Road OS, near Woodman's market in Onalaska at about 5:30 p.m.
Police say their initial investigation shows a sedan was turning from County Road OS onto eastbound Highway 16 when it was hit by a pickup truck that was traveling on the westbound side of Highway 16.
The driver of the sedan was trapped in the car and had to be extricated before being taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, where they were pronounced dead. The identity of the person is not being released at this time, pending the notification of relatives.
Traffic in the area of the crash was still being affected until about 10:30 p.m. while the Wisconsin State Patrol took measurements for crash reconstruction. Investigators with the Onalaska Police Department were also still interviewing the driver of the pickup truck.
More information on the crash is expected to be released on Tuesday.
- Kennel sponsorship program provides for furry friends
- Holmen High students raise money for classmate's dad
- Viterbo University hosts annual Nutcracker performance
- Onalaska American Legion hosts Holiday Art Show
- Toys For Tots pickup distributed to community
- Crime lab expert's testimony runs contrary to Kendhammer's explanation of alleged crash
- Historic Hiawatha statue causes controversy
- Partisan divide deepens over Walker investigation
- 50 La Crosse jobs impacted by change at CenturyLink
- Proposed La Crosse Center renovations would bring in visitors, millions in revenue