BLACK RIVER FALLS, Wis. (WKBT) - One person was killed and another was critically injured in a rollover crash in Black River Falls on Friday evening. The Black River Falls Police Department said a lack of seatbelts, alcohol and speed are believed to be factors in the crash.
Authorities responded to the single-vehicle rollover on Highway 54 near Andrews Road around 9 p.m. The vehicle was traveling westbound when it crossed the median and continued off the roadway.
One occupant was pronounced dead at the scene. Another person inside the vehicle was critically injured and flown to a local hospital.
The eastbound lanes were closed and rerouted to the westbound lands. An initial investigation took several hours to complete.
The names of the occupants are not being released at this time by the Police Department to protect the families and integrity of the investigation.
The incident remains under investigation by the Police Department and Wisconsin State Patrol.
Anyone who witnessed the crash or has information about the incident are asked to contact the Police Department.
Officials are urging people to always wear their seatbelt. If you have plans for St. Patrick's Day, make sure to have a sober driver.
The Police Department was assisted by Black River Falls Fire and Emergency Medical Services Departments, the Hixton Fire Department, the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office and the Wisconsin State Patrol’s Technical Reconstruction Unit.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Police confirm body found in Chippewa River to be missing teenager
- UPDATE: Woman charged with 4 felonies, 2 misdemeanors after search Monday morning
- Early morning fire destroys building in Village of Warrens
- Evers: 'Connect the dots' to see if GOP leaders are sexist
- Expert predicts more Wisconsin frac sand mines may close
- Xcel accelerates plans to end coal use in Upper Midwest by 10 years
- Couleecap, Inc. announces $12,000 grant from Wells Fargo
- S.M.R.T. Buses make improvements for inter-county commuters
- Flooding disrupts farm shipments on the Mississippi River
- Republicans plan to intervene in new union lawsuit