LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A car that crashed into the water near Norplex Drive in La Crosse late Sunday afternoon was stolen.
According to the La Crosse Fire Department, a La Crosse Police officer attempted to make a traffic stop on a vehicle that was reported as stolen.
The male driver was the only one in the car. He did not stop for the officer and led police on a chase.
The car was traveling at high speeds near Norplex Drive where the driver hit a tree and went into Swift Creek.
"And there was an electrical pole that the vehicle hit and if you look at the mark over there on that tree, there was obviously some speed involved with the accident," said Tom Wallerich from the LCFD.
The driver was pulled out of the water and taken to the hospital by Tri-State Ambulance. He suffered life-threatening injuries.
Emergency crews remained on the scene to get the vehicle out of the water.
The crash remains under investigation.
A vehicle has crashed into Swift Creek near Norplex Drive.
- Screnock, Dallet advance in Wisconsin Supreme Court primary
- State Assembly overwhelmingly passes Gov. Walker's Health Care Stability Plan
- Voters in West Salem approve school referendum
- Two advance in Tomah mayoral race
- Assignment: Education - School staff shortage
- Voters in Viroqua choose two to move on in mayor's race
- La Crosse residents brave icy conditions following freezing rain
- Wisconsin Assembly passes school guard grant bill
- Supreme Court asked to review 'Making a Murderer' confession
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 20, 2018