FORT ATKINSON, Wis. (WKBT) - Fort Atkinson police said a missing mother and daughter who were last seen Wednesday near Ithaca were found safe in Madison Thursday morning.
Police said law enforcement officers were searching for Lindsay Suter Harter, 35, and her 4-year-old daughter, Lily, near Westby because her cellphone pinged in the area at 5:30 a.m. Thursday.
Fort Atkinson police Capt. Jeff Davis told News 3 Harter and her daughter were found safe Thursday morning near Stoughton Road in Madison.
Police said a private citizen called police Thursday morning after being concerned about an interaction they had with Harter Wednesday around 3:45 p.m.
The citizen told police Harter had run out of gas and was parked on Highway 58 near Ithaca. The citizen said they gave Harter gas money and offered to buy her a car seat because her daughter was not in one.
Officials said they were concerned for Harter and her daughter's welfare due to Harter's mental state. She has previously driven to other areas of the state where she has been confused as to where she was and why she was there, authorities said.
- Schools & Weather related cancellations for Tuesday, Feb. 20
- Spring primary ballot will include school referendum in West Salem
- Walker pushes health care plan ahead of state Senate vote
- Volunteers aim to keep seniors sharp with virtual reality
- New US Senate budget agreement to provide relief to dairy farmers
- Holmen sends big number to state wrestling
- Wis. Supreme Court primary today
- Wisconsin republican lawmaker proposes guns in private schools
- Wisconsin elections officials plan for bad weather
- Onalaska city leaders call on Joint Municipal Court judge to resign