Mediterranean Pita Scramble
Makes 2 servings
Marinated ahead of time:
- 1 ½ Tbsp. fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh zucchini, diced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh green peppers, diced
- 1 Tbsp. red onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. black or Kalamata olives
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 whole wheat pita pockets (1 round, cut in half)
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh kale (baby varietals, spinach, or arugula would work great too!)
- 2 Tbsp. Feta cheese
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Gently combine the tomatoes, zucchini, green peppers, onions, olives, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Cover and refrigerate overnight for best flavor, or can be done morning of as well! Note, the longer the vegetables marinate, the better the flavor.
- Start with a hot sauté pan, spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray, and sauté the minced garlic.
- Add the marinated vegetables, let start to sauté and add kale.
- Cook until kale becomes slightly wilted.
- Whisk the eggs thoroughly in a separate bowl; then pour whisked eggs over the vegetables in the sauté pan.
- Use a spatula to keep the mixture from sticking as it cooks.
- Sprinkle scramble mixture with feta cheese crumbles.
- Warm pita in the microwave, oven, or another sauté pan.
- Once warmed, open the pocket and add half the scramble into the pocket (warming the pockets makes them easier to work with!)
Nutrition Facts per Pocket:
Calories: 265 Total Fat: 12 grams Saturated Fat: 4 grams
Carbohydrate: 23 grams Fiber: 3 grams Protein: 16 grams Sodium: 530 mg
Mayo will also be doing monthly cooking demos with their Mobile Kitchen Unit. Their next two programs will be in Houston County and La Crosse County.
Sept. 28 - Caledonia, MN - Four Seasons Community Center, Demos at 11:00 AM and 12:15 PM
Oct. 18 - La Crosse, WI - Black River Beach Neighborhood Center, Demo at 11:00 AM
- Genzie's Gameday Pub hosts 2nd annual soup cook-off for the troops
- Fire at a Winona apartment displaces 5 residents
- Robotics teams from all over the region meet for a preseason scrimmage
- Doctors emphasize the benefits of exercising at target heart rate
- Fire fully engulfs barn with cattle inside
- La Crosse-area community members share stories of climate change
- Local Lupus Alliance to host 'Murder at the Disco' in March
- Centerville Curling Club teaches the public about the sport of curling
- Viterbo hosts Engineering Exploration Day to showcase new engineering program
- Project Linus makes blankets for kids in need