LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A local skating, biking and scooter spot is having a big anniversary. Lueth Park in La Crosse held a celebration for its 20th year as one of the region's largest concrete skate parks.
Communities started to crack down on skateboarding decades ago, so local skaters needed a place to go.
In 2018, the park was renovated to add a pump track for bikers and other features.
A celebration at skate park Saturday showed community members the skilled involved in the sport.
"The activity, the balance, the coordination that you need to do it. The thinking that goes along as far as, 'Oh, I'm going to try this trick on this obstacle.' Somebody just does the same trick but then as far as their style they've incorporated with it," said Dirk Dannhoff, an organizer for the celebration.
The event was organized by the La Crosse Parks, Recreation, and Forestry Department, Outdoor Recreation Alliance and local skateboarders.
In addition to the skate park, there's also a playground, shelter and softball field. It's located at the very end of 12th street north, near Lang Drive.
Lueth Park was previously named First Ward playground, but later renamed for Edward Lueth in 1949. It was expanded as a result of rerouting of Lang Drive in 1957.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Former Miss Wisconsin Outstanding Teen claims Miss La Crosse Oktoberfest crown
- Wisconsin will not join tentative settlement agreement with Purdue Pharma
- Oktoberfest USA Medallion has been found
- Concordia Ballroom gets dancers up to speed with free polka lessons
- King Apple Parade marches through La Crescent
- Retired Air Force major general introduces new book to area veterans
- Hmong New Year Festival helps bond community members
- Presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders to stop in Decorah
- UW-La Crosse soccer loses thriller in double overtime against Coe College
- UW-La Crosse volleyball extends winning streak to three