LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - You can help make this a happy holiday season for local families.
The Angel Giving Tree went up Tuesday morning at Valley View Mall in La Crosse. The tree is decorated with tags showing the clothes and shoe sizes for area kids, as well as some of the things they like or would want as a gift.
Members of the community can then pick a tag from the tree, buy the items and drop the gifts off at the tree or the Salvation Army in La Crosse.
"It's one of the best times of the year, and some families simply just don't have the resources to provide those presents to their kids," said the Salvation Army's Nick Ragner. "We're asking community members to step up, essentially play the role of Santa Claus, put a smile on a kid's face by getting them a brand new outfit and a pair of shoes, and that's what the Angel Giving Tree is all about."
This year's tree features the names of 1200 area kids from more than 400 families.
Gifts that are bought should be brought back to the Angel Giving Tree or taken to the Salvation Army by December 5th. The presents will then be distributed to families in the program on December 15th.
- Wisconsin Assembly to pass tax credit, prison funding
- Carfentanyl makes its way to La Crosse, leading to more doses of Narcan
- La Crosse man charged with assault, woman hid in gas station
- Watch The Decorah Eagles- LIVE
- Xcel Energy named one of World's Most Admired Companies
- Vino Fest features Wisconsin wines with help from tourism grant
- Teen arrested for bringing loaded gun to Madison school
- Shelters open amid Midwest flooding as rivers keep rising
- Public meeting held on Hwy. 35 reconstruction plan
- Local students hold candlelight vigil for Florida school shooting victims