LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Keeping warm this winter will be a little easier for La Crosse's homeless population thanks to a high school senior.
West Salem High School senior McKenzie Fitzpatrick will provide some of La Crosse's homeless with a care package this Thanksgiving. As part of a senior exit project, McKenzie is handing out 32 backpacks and 100 smaller care packages.
Each backpack has shoes and clothing items, and the packages contain hygiene items, hand warmers and snacks.
"I also wanted to get it out during Thanksgiving and Christmas because giving is always really nice, and being able to help people other than yourself or your family and stuff like that, just being able to reach out, is important to me," said McKenzie.
Additional items like tarps, can openers and flash lights were handed out to those living in a homeless camp along La Crosse's Riverside Park.
- Veterans bring first-hand experience to Kenosha students
- Husband faces drug charges after wife's death
- Gun expert explains uses, misconceptions about AR-15s
- Child credit, sales tax holiday OK'd by Wisconsin Assembly
- Wisconsin dairy says owner among Indiana plane crash victims
- Walker tax cut, Lincoln Hills closure plan in jeopardy
- Some Wisconsin residents still stranded by high waters
- Wisconsin Assembly passes bill that could revoke licenses of repeat drunk drivers
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 24, 2018
- Wisconsin sees increase in respiratory illnesses