TREMPEALEAU COUNTY, Wis. (WKBT) - The three people who died in a head-on two vehicle crash on State Trunk Highway 95 Monday morning have been identified.
The crash involved an SUV and minivan on Highway 95 at Sorlie Lane between Blair and Arcadia.
The Trempealeau County Sheriff's Office said the driver of the SUV, Patrice M. Hamerski, 57, of Trempealeau, died. The driver of the minivan, Donald J. Lewallen, 34, and passenger Austin C. Lemon, 14, both of Augusta, Wisconsin, also died in the crash.
Timothy D. Kroenig, 34, of Owen, Wisconsin, and Curtis L. Lovelien, 23, of Fairchild, were also passengers in the minivan. Kroenig was treated at Tri-County Hospital in Whitehall for non-life-threatening injuries. Lovelien was airlifted to Gundersen Hospital in La Crosse with life-threatening injuries.
The crash happened at about 7:30 a.m. Monday. The Sheriff's Office said after the initial contact, the van came to a stop a short distance from the initial point of contact and then caught fire. There were four occupants in the van, two of which appeared to have been ejected. The remaining two occupants of the van (driver and one passenger) were pronounced dead at the scene.
The Sheriff's Office said the driver of the SUV was trapped in the vehicle and was extricated from the vehicle prior to being transported to Tri-County Hospital in Whitehall. Hamerski was pronounced dead at the hospital a short time later.
The cause of the crash is still under investigation. An accident reconstructionist from the Trempealeau County Sheriff's Office was called to the scene. The Sheriff's Office said roadway conditions were wet and that location had been receiving rainfall just prior to the time of crash, but it is not known at this time if weather had been receiving rainfall just prior to the time of crash.
All lanes were blocked in both directions on Highway 95 until the scene was cleared at about 1 p.m. Traffic was rerouted to County Road N and County Road D for about four hours.
- School and other weather related closings/delays for Monday, February 19
- Wisconsin Legislature to vote on reinsurance, tax cuts
- Genzie's Gameday Pub hosts 2nd annual soup cook-off for the troops
- Fire at a Winona apartment displaces 5 residents
- Search turned up illegal drugs, hand grenade in Neillsville
- Robotics teams from all over the region meet for a preseason scrimmage
- Doctors emphasize the benefits of exercising at target heart rate
- Original Picasso print stolen from Milwaukee art gallery
- WIAA boys basketball playoff brackets released
- Lazzaris adds international flair to state meet