LA CRESCENT, Min. (WKBT) - The La Crescent Area Events Center's Chili Cook-Off Contest kicked off Sunday afternoon at the Sports Hub Bar and Grill.
11 cooks put their chili to the test to raise money for construction of the the non-profit events center.
The event center broke ground in early August.
Don J. Hill, the treasurer for the La Crescent Area Event Center, said it is expected to be completed in May of 2019.
He says that so far they have raised more than $2,7000,000, and they hope to get at least $3,500,000.
"We're building this all on donations, and we want to be debt free so that we can give back to the community," said Hill.
The center is being build on the site of the former American Legion location. Hill said the board is giving the Legion a rent-free meeting room - in part, he feels, because the Legion gave back to them when they were younger.
- Daily Holiday - American education week
- Mug shot of the day - Rick from Prairie du Chein
- La Crosse Parks Department review finds funding transferred between parks, inconsistent budgets
- New cholesterol guidelines could mean your kids will be getting checked
- Viterbo University hosts community, veterans for Veterans Day ceremonies
- 3 arrested in La Crosse drug bust
- UPDATE: Eau Claire Police continue search for missing man
- Assignment: Education - New Spanish Exchange Program
- Girl spent hours in Milwaukee tow lot after mother's arrest
- Governor Dayton announces "Free Park Friday" in Minnesota
- Mayo Clinic receives record $200M gift from Michigan donor
- Legislators approve Evers transition budget
- Photographer: Nazi salute image not meant to be offensive
- Legislators to vote on Evers transition budget
- Wolf taken to Isle Royale National Park this fall dies