LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Officers from across Wisconsin are paying their respects to the detective killed a week ago in northern Wisconsin, including a few from La Crosse.
Four officers from the La Crosse Police Department are in Wausau, remembering the service of Detective Jason Weiland.
Three of the attending officers are members of the funeral Honor Guard. The Honor Guard attends the funerals of officers throughout Wisconsin, and nearby departments of neighboring states.
"Any time there is, as you mentioned, an officer involved shooting, and then an officer is killed in the line of duty, we do want to make sure that other officers know that no matter where they are know that yes, this is a brotherhood, a sisterhood. We feel their pain, their condolences, and we want to make sure that they know that they are not there alone,” said la Crosse Police Department Community Policing Officer Brooke Pataska.
Detective Weiland and three other people were killed last Wednesday during a shooting spree.
- Fire at a Winona apartment displaces 5 residents
- Fire fully engulfs barn with cattle inside
- La Crosse-area community members share stories of climate change
- Local Lupus Alliance to host 'Murder at the Disco' in March
- Centerville Curling Club teaches the public about the sport of curling
- Viterbo hosts Engineering Exploration Day to showcase new engineering program
- Project Linus makes blankets for kids in need
- Committee vote canceled on 'alcohol czar' bill
- Wisconsin Assembly passes Walker's welfare overhaul bills
- Wisconsin Assembly OKs wetland permit exemptions bill