STODDARD, Wis. (WKBT) - A La Crosse man walked away uninjured after his UTV broke through the ice on the Mississippi River Tuesday afternoon.
The Vernon Co. Sheriff says Andrew G. Loomis, 31 of La Crosse, was driving a Polaris side-by-side on the ice on Running Slough, approximately 100 yards southwest of the Stoddard Municipal Boat Landing.
The UTV crossed a pressure ridge and went through the ice.
Loomis went in the water, but was able to get himself out. The UTV was completely submerged.
Loomis refused medical treatment and didn't report any injuries.
The Stoddard-Bergen Volunteer Fire Dept., Tri-State Ambulance, and the Wisconsin DNR assisted with the incident.
It remains under investigation.
- School and other weather related closings/delays for Monday, February 19
- Wisconsin Legislature to vote on reinsurance, tax cuts
- Genzie's Gameday Pub hosts 2nd annual soup cook-off for the troops
- Fire at a Winona apartment displaces 5 residents
- Search turned up illegal drugs, hand grenade in Neillsville
- Robotics teams from all over the region meet for a preseason scrimmage
- Doctors emphasize the benefits of exercising at target heart rate
- Original Picasso print stolen from Milwaukee art gallery
- WIAA boys basketball playoff brackets released
- Lazzaris adds international flair to state meet