LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - All the recent heavy rain did not stop people from playing softball Saturday.
For the third year La Crosse is playing host to the 2017 North American Fast Pitch Association, men's state fast softball pitch tournament this weekend.
The tournament brought together softball teams from different taverns and businesses from all over the state for a friendly tournament. The tournament kicked off Friday night at Erickson Park despite the wet weather in the area.
The La Crosse grounds crew has been a big help keeping the fields playable.
"(The) fields are looking great. The Parks Department has done an outstanding job as far as putting these parks together. They've done it right, there's great irrigation. In fact (last night) they played slow-pitch on them. So considering all the rain that we've had it was amazing. So we're looking forward to a good weekend of fast-pitch softball," Francis Formanek, a committee member for NAFA, said.
The tournament will wrap up Sunday.
There are 10 teams from Wisconsin and one team from Illinois competing in the tournament this year.
The winner will take home a cash prize and trophy.
- Committee vote canceled on 'alcohol czar' bill
- Wisconsin Assembly passes Walker's welfare overhaul bills
- Wisconsin Assembly OKs wetland permit exemptions bill
- Prairie du Chien's Matt Antoine comes up short in pursuit of Olympic medal
- Local school districts discuss security measures following Florida mass shooting
- Backpacks donated to local police departments in memory of young murder victim
- Health experts point to lack of residential treatment access for drug addicts
- La Crosse-area community members share stories of climate change
- Fire fully engulfs barn with cattle inside
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 16, 2018