With these cold temperatures many people are looking for additional ways to heat their homes, but local fire fighters say you should be careful with some heaters.
Space heaters are an easy way to raise a room's temperature but they can also be a fire hazard.
La Crosse fire fighters say space heaters are not meant to heat your home or apartment long-term. You should also turn off any heaters if you're going to be away from it for long periods of time.
"It's a good idea to make sure you don't place the heater near combustibles, and also get one that if it gets tipped over that it shuts itself off,” said la Crosse Fire Department Captain Greg Temp.
Space heaters account for about a third of winter house fires and cause the most fire-based fatalities each winter.
- Fire at a Winona apartment displaces 5 residents
- Fire fully engulfs barn with cattle inside
- La Crosse-area community members share stories of climate change
- Local Lupus Alliance to host 'Murder at the Disco' in March
- Centerville Curling Club teaches the public about the sport of curling
- Viterbo hosts Engineering Exploration Day to showcase new engineering program
- Project Linus makes blankets for kids in need
- Committee vote canceled on 'alcohol czar' bill
- Wisconsin Assembly passes Walker's welfare overhaul bills
- Wisconsin Assembly OKs wetland permit exemptions bill