LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - UPDATE: Authorities release the names of those involved in a fatal car accident Tuesday morning.
The La Crosse County Sheriff's Office said Maria J. Gartner, 26, died at the scene and David S. Sanders, 32, was injured and transferred to a hospital.
Authorities said a pick-up truck traveling east on County Highway FO appears to have crossed the center line and struck an oncoming car.
The driver of the car was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the truck was transported to Gundersen Medical Center for treatment.
There were no other passengers in either vehicle, police said.
The Wisconsin State Patrol is assisting the La Crosse County Sheriff's Office with reconstruction of the accident.
The head-on crash between a pick-up truck and a car happened at around 6 a.m. Tuesday on County FO, between County Road F and County Road OA. Law enforcement closed that stretch of road off to traffic to allow investigators to work.
The accident remains under investigation.
- Jury finds Kendhammer guilty of First Degree Intentional Homicide
- La Crosse common council votes to override mayor's veto of parks dept. audit
- #MeToo movement comes to La Crosse with 'Take Back the Night' march
- Community comes together to support family following fire tragedy
- La Crosse committee gets update on South Ave. project
- Stand off ends in La Crosse with man taken into custody
- Walker says he would be 'shocked' if Ryan drops out
- House Speaker Paul Ryan denies reports he may leave Congress
- Franken confirms handover to Smith in early January
- U of Minnesota moving ahead with nonresident tuition hike