LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - UPDATE: Authorities release the names of those involved in a fatal car accident Tuesday morning.
The La Crosse County Sheriff's Office said Maria J. Gartner, 26, died at the scene and David S. Sanders, 32, was injured and transferred to a hospital.
Authorities said a pick-up truck traveling east on County Highway FO appears to have crossed the center line and struck an oncoming car.
The driver of the car was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the truck was transported to Gundersen Medical Center for treatment.
There were no other passengers in either vehicle, police said.
The Wisconsin State Patrol is assisting the La Crosse County Sheriff's Office with reconstruction of the accident.
The head-on crash between a pick-up truck and a car happened at around 6 a.m. Tuesday on County FO, between County Road F and County Road OA. Law enforcement closed that stretch of road off to traffic to allow investigators to work.
The accident remains under investigation.
- Tomah woman inspires others with her amazing determination
- Republican field grows in race to replace Ryan
- Multiple candidates register to run for state treasurer
- City planners say Herberger's liquidation changes the way communities must look at retail
- American Girl closing Wilmot operations
- Winona State students raise awareness about mental health and suicide
- La Crosse's mayor holds 'Coffee with Kabat'
- Westby freshman adjusts quickly to new sport
- Wisconsin unemployment remains at record-low 2.9 percent
- Walker seeks federal waiver for reinsurance in Wisconsin