LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - There's probably nothing sadder for a mama dog than losing her puppy.
Becca is a little Yorkshire terrier and was terribly depressed after losing her puppy at birth. But luckily for her, the Coulee Region Humane Society also had a kitten that needed a mom.
They decided to put the two of them together, and nature took care of the rest.
"They had other mom cats take other orphan kittens in before. That's really common. We've heard of cats taking in squirrels or dogs taking in other animals, too. But this is our first interspecies nursing experience here in our foster program," said Arika Arndt, the foster coordinator for the Coulee Region Humane Society.
They decided to name the kitten Yorkie in honor of her foster mom. She is now ready to be adopted.
The Humane Society is running a special promotion for Father's Day. Yorkie's adoption fee will be waived during the event.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Authorities investigating small plane crash near Viroqua airport
- Over 30 car break-ins reported in La Crosse over weekend
- Two arrested in prescription drug fraud investigation in Vernon Co.
- Evers seeks federal disaster declaration for 18 counties
- Wisconsin school bus companies scramble to find drivers
- Well Water to be collected for testing in West Salem
- UPDATE: Pilot dies in Vernon County plane crash
- Teen killed during storm cleanup was from Melrose
- Former long-time Winona State basketball coach Mike Leaf dead at 58
- Bangor football offensive line and Horstman ready for breakout season