DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - The Iowa Court of Appeals has overturned a $3.25 million jury award against a Des Moines-area couple's lawyer over a failed adoption where the baby boy later was murdered.
The Des Moines Register reports that a three-judge panel ruled Wednesday that adoption attorney Jason Rieper's conduct fell short of the legal threshold permitting Rachel and Heidi McFarland of Ankeny to recover damages for emotional distress from alleged malpractice.
They sued because Rieper failed to get the birth mother's signature in 2014 on a crucial document. Rieper said she changed her mind.
The infant lived with the couple for two months before he was returned to his mother. Five weeks later, he was found dead in her apartment.
The father pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and received a 50-year prison sentence.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Over 30 car break-ins reported in La Crosse over weekend
- Evers seeks federal disaster declaration for 18 counties
- 'Barn Cats' available from La Crescent Animal Rescue
- Final 'Party in the Park' of 2019 Tuesday in Pettibone Park
- Canoe racing Saturday on Coon Creek
- UPDATE: Wisconsin police identify man who was fatally shot by an officer in Caledonia
- Wisconsin reinstates Cephus after sexual assault acquittal
- Treasurer Godlewski meeting with local retirees and farmers in La Crosse
- Stretch of Winona County Road 17 closing for construction
- Omar: Go to Israel, see 'cruel reality of the occupation'