WESTBY, Wis. (WKBT) - UPDATE: A helicopter pilot survives a crash in Westby Monday afternoon.
It happened just after 1:00 p.m. about 100 yards west of Nordic Lanes bowling alley.
Sgt. Scott Stuber with the Westby Police Department says the helicopter was spraying a corn field when the rear tail rotor struck a power line.
The rotor was ripped away from the helicopter causing it to spin and eventually crash.
The pilot, 27-year-old Jonathan Wanda of Harvard, Illinoios, was the only person on board. Sgt. Stuber says he was able to walk away from the crash, but was taken to the hospital to be checked out.
No one on the ground was injured.
According to a witness, the helicopter was spraying fields for MF Helicopters out of East Troy, Wisconsin.
- RECALL: Kidde Dual Sensor Smoke Alarms
- La Crosse police arrest drug dealer awaiting trial
- Four students in custody for making threats at Eau Claire high school
- Couple charged for keeping hundreds of animals in home
- Father of starved girl pleads guilty to assault
- Appeal on behalf of deceased serial killer dismissed
- Ex-officer charged in woman's death leaves jail
- News 8 Sports Round Up - March 21, 2018
- New arena makes indoor horse therapy possible
- West Salem student's senior exit project helps local NICU