LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The La Crosse County Health Department is raising awareness about a dangerous gas called Radon.
The department says 57 Americans die from lung cancer caused by Radon found in their homes.
The tasteless and odorless gas can make its way through the cracks in a home's foundation.
In order to find out if a house has a high level of Radon, a test is required which can be bought through the La Crosse and Monroe County Health departments.
Health experts say radon can affect homes in different ways.
"From home to home it can really differ depending on your foundation, how you are using your home, maybe your HVAC systems so it can really vary from house to house," said Nicole Frankfourth from the La Crosse Co. Health Department.
Radon tests are also available at all La Crosse County Library locations for $10.
- School and other weather related closings/delays for Monday, February 19
- Wisconsin Legislature to vote on reinsurance, tax cuts
- Genzie's Gameday Pub hosts 2nd annual soup cook-off for the troops
- Fire at a Winona apartment displaces 5 residents
- Search turned up illegal drugs, hand grenade in Neillsville
- Robotics teams from all over the region meet for a preseason scrimmage
- Doctors emphasize the benefits of exercising at target heart rate
- New US Senate budget agreement to provide relief to dairy farmers
- Original Picasso print stolen from Milwaukee art gallery
- WIAA boys basketball playoff brackets released