LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - One local business is hosting a contest to benefit troops overseas. Genzie's Gameday Pub on La Crosse's north side held it's second annual soup cook-off Sunday afternoon.
All proceeds from the event will go to support Treats for Troops, an organization that sends supplies to men and women fighting overseas. Last year the event raised more than $2,000 for the organization.
Workers at Genzie's say they've seen the benefit of events like this firsthand.
"I was deployed for Desert Storm in Germany and I answered a Christmas card to Any Soldier. And when I received a package in the mail from the entire class they all sent me care package items and they drew me pictures. And it means more to me than anyone can ever know," said Genzie's bartender and veteran Tina Castilyn.
On top of the money from the soup, Genzie's Gameday Pub matched all donations.
- Tomah woman inspires others with her amazing determination
- City planners say Herberger's liquidation changes the way communities must look at retail
- Snow melt creates possible flooding risk in La Crosse area
- La Crosse pregnancy program reduces time at doctor's office
- Westby freshman adjusts quickly to new sport
- Wisconsin unemployment remains at record-low 2.9 percent
- Walker seeks federal waiver for reinsurance in Wisconsin
- Try new local restaurants with Restaurant Week in La Crosse
- Winona State students raise awareness about mental health and suicide
- La Crosse's mayor holds 'Coffee with Kabat'