LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - An annual festival celebrating American soldiers is coming to a close. Freedom Fest organizers just announced the 2017 event on July 15th will be the last one.
"I always look at everything and say timing is important. When you get into something and when you move on, and I just feel the timing now is for us to move to the next level,” said founder Don Weber.
The festival at UW-La Crosse's Veterans Memorial Field draws thousands of people to hear music, but also honor veterans and families who have lost loved ones in military service. Freedom Fest proceeds have also supported the Hall of Honor memorial at UW-L.
Concerts are ending, but the mission is not. Organizers say they'll continue supporting Freedom Fest causes, like providing scholarships to veterans.
"The scholarships have been a tremendous success for us," says Freedom Fest board member Pat Stephens. "I've seen the 'thank you's' and the appreciation they [veterans] send back as to how important that is to them, and what a help it was. That's not going to go away."
Tickets for the 10th and final Freedom Fest go on sale April 21. You can purchase them at FreedomFestLaCrosse.com or at Festival Foods locations in La Crosse. This year's headliner will be John Fogerty.
- Committee vote canceled on 'alcohol czar' bill
- Wisconsin Assembly passes Walker's welfare overhaul bills
- Wisconsin Assembly OKs wetland permit exemptions bill
- Prairie du Chien's Matt Antoine comes up short in pursuit of Olympic medal
- Local school districts discuss security measures following Florida mass shooting
- Backpacks donated to local police departments in memory of young murder victim
- Health experts point to lack of residential treatment access for drug addicts
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 16, 2018
- Community efforts continue to restore Myrick duck house
- ‘Alcohol czar' bill vote canceled